Is it just me or do VCs spend more time tweeting these days compared to actual research in the markets they are going to invest in?
Venture Capital by Numbers:
Venture Capital business is 100% a game of outliers
- 4000 venture fundable businesses per year
- 200 will get by top tier Venture Capital
- 15 will some day get to $100 million in revenue
- Those 15 – provide 97% of all the returns for the entire Venture Capital category for the year.
Great article on Bloomberg about Jetbrains – the company behind the popular programming language Kotlin.
- Company is profitable ($200 million EBITDA expect this year)
- No VC funding from the beginning
- Valuation $7 billion
- 1,500 staff (750 in St Petersburg) – Prague HQ
It’s great to hear from other founders who are far more interested in the issue they are trying to fix than the billions of dollars they could be personally making.